Saturday, February 11, 2012

Momma got some brand new shoes!

Drove down to Beverly to the New England Running Co. store today and had a really good experience.  Buying running shoes (any shoes!) is always dreadful for me, but I was very pleased today.  I decided it was time to retire my custom orthotics for good.  They're ridiculously old, uncomfortable, and they've been causing a major blister during runs.  I need something for my flat feet, so I got some Spenco PolySorb Total Support replacement insoles.  So far I can say that they are WAY more comfortable than my custom orthotics, but I can tell they definitely aren't perfect (not that I expected they would be).  I'm hoping that making this bold decision to replace my orthotics doesn't come back to bite me in the ass, so we'll see.

The shoes that worked out the best for me were Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12.  It's funny because I ended up with a totally different size than I usually get (I guess I should have had a proper fitting a long time ago!)  The guy fit me into a size 9 with a 2A (narrow) width and I usually get an 8 or 8 1/2 and medium width (only because medium is the easiest to come by), but then I have to tie the laces super tight.  I definitely should have done this a long time ago!

My first run today was on the treadmill and it felt fine.  The shoes and inserts felt good.  I'm happy.  I went crazy with the moleskin, so as not to aggravate my healing blister.  The run was boring as hell because I had to stare at the clock on the treadmill to make sure I got the timing of my intervals right, so I felt like I was just counting down the clock the entire time.  I somehow messed up my interval timer app on my iPhone (accidentally shut the sounds off - so it couldn't inform me when the intervals were over...kind of the whole point of using the interval timer, so it seems a little silly that you can even turn the sounds OFF, but whatever!)  Have to run again tomorrow and now that I have my snazzy new running shoes, I'm not dreading it as much as I could be.

Got a babysitter and met some friends at Little Mexico tonight.  It was really fun (we so need to do this more often!)  I had a few drinks, and I'm worried I'm going to feel it in the morning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment