Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Officially doing another race!

Today I officially signed up for my first half marathon!  I've been considering it for a little while now ever since I knew I'd be signing up for the marathon, and today I decided to stop hemming and hawing.  I think it will be the best way to make sure I really start getting my butt in gear and start training for the full marathon (since it's all the way in October and knowing myself, I KNOW I would totally keep putting it off since October is "forever away").  So by May 6th I need to be ready for 13.1 miles.  That's less than 15 weeks away.  Whoa.

Of course now I'm hemming and hawing over my training schedule.  (Apparently, I always have an internal debate going on about something...)  Before the marathon ever became a reality, my workout routine was Mon/Wed Pilates and Tues/Thurs Bootcamp, and I get so much out of both of them I really don't want to give them up.  I figure I'll run both days of the weekends too.  So, to get a third run in every week I either need to double up on a Pilates or Bootcamp day (most likely Pilates, since the idea of going on a run before having to endure bootcamp makes me break out in hives!) or give up my one rest day (which means running 3 days in a row...)  The second option doesn't really seem like the best idea because I feel like I need to spread my runs out a bit more, but in theory, today would be my 'add in a run' Pilates day because doing that on Mondays would still mean 3 days in a row of running.  Honestly though, my body is really feeling my recent workouts today - just about every muscle is screaming out in soreness.  I hope I'm not getting in over my head here!  Maybe I should rethink it, but this is what I'm planning for training after cross-referencing a bunch of suggested training plans:

Monday - Pilates 1hr (stretch & strengthen day)
Tuesday - Bootcamp 1hr (cross-train day)
Wednesday - Run & Pilates 1hr (stretch & strengthen day plus run)
Thursday - Bootcamp 1 hr (cross-train day)
Friday - REST DAY
Saturday - Long Run
Sunday - Run

I'm most nervous about having a run day in between 2 bootcamp days, and I kind of feel like it will have to be a short run day, but then that means I have my medium and long runs 2 days in a row...Ugh, maybe I'll have to rethink whether I can continue with both Pilates & Bootcamp 2 days a week...

I wasn't going to add my midweek short run in yet, but my kids are driving me bonkers today.  Perhaps I'll bring them to the Y with me early and run on the treadmill for a bit to get a break from them!!!

Here are the websites I used to research training plans for the half marathon:

Hal Hidgeon's Novice Half Marathon Training Program

Jeff Galloway's Half Marathon Training Schedule

Runner's World Ultimate Half Marathon Training Plan

Marathon Rookie Half Marathon Training for Beginners

No comments:

Post a Comment